Services for Political Action Committees
Campaign Finance Services has assisted political action committees (PACs) for advocacy organizations, leadership funds and trade and union organizations. Our services for PACs include:
- Committee Formation --We will assist you in forming your PAC by ensuring your initial Statement of Organization is fully and correctly completed and obtaining an Employer Identification Number from the Internal Revenue Service. We can also help you to determine if your PAC will be classified as a separate segregated fund, which is subject to special restrictions.
- Financial Procedures -- We will train your PAC or organization staff in basic financial procedures so your PAC is properly collecting and maintaining records of all financial transactions.
- Compliance Education -- We will train your PAC or organization staff in basic campaign finance law so your PAC is in compliance with all requirements and is ready to raise and spend campaign funds.
- Upgrade PAC Status – Michigan law divides PACs into two categories: political committees, which may contribute to candidates at the same level as individuals, and independent committees, which may contribute much larger amounts if they have been properly qualified. We can help your PAC meet these qualifications and make the transition from political to independent committee.
- Financial Transaction Review -- We will review all of your contributions and expenditures to ensure they fully comply with the requirements of the Michigan Campaign Finance Act. If we encounter a problem, we will contact you to offer options for resolving it.
- Campaign Finance Reporting -- We have filed hundreds of campaign statements for our clients. Your filings will be fully compliant and filed on deadline. We have extensive experience working with Michigan's MERTS electronic filing system, the FECFile system used by federal PACs, and local electronic filing systems used in Michigan, including WayneCounty's new electronic system. We are also experienced in working with comprehensive campaign software such as NGP VAN.
- Information and Advice -- We are available at all times to answer any questions that might arise regarding campaign finance law, and to provide counsel on fundraising techniques and strategy.
- Committee Dissolution – If you decide to wind up and dissolve your PAC we can assist you in dissolving your committee by ensuring all final reports are in order and all surplus funds are properly distributed.