Services for Judicial Candidates
Judicial campaigns are a different kind of animal. In addition to following the requirements of the Michigan Campaign Finance Act, candidates for judge must also comply with the special restrictions contained in Canon 7 of the Michigan Code of Judicial Conduct. We have helped candidates for district, circuit and appellate judgeships. In addition to the services we provide to legislative and executive candidates, we provide judicial candidates with information and counsel regarding the restrictions of Canon 7, which are designed to protect the integrity and independence of Michigan's judges. We are also well-versed in the ethics opinions that have been issued over the years interpreting Canon 7. Our services for judicial candidates include:
- Committee Formation --We will assist you in forming your candidate committee by ensuring your initial Statement of Organization is fully and correctly completed and obtaining an Employer Identification Number from the Internal Revenue Service.
- Financial Procedures -- We will train your campaign staff in basic financial procedures so your campaign is properly collecting and maintaining records of all financial transactions.
- Compliance Education -- We will train your campaign staff in basic campaign finance law so your campaign is in compliance with all requirements and your committee is ready to raise and spend campaign funds.
- Financial Transaction Review -- We will review all of your contributions and expenditures to ensure they fully comply with the requirements of the Michigan Campaign Finance Act and Canon 7 of the Michigan Code of Judicial Conduct. If we encounter a problem, we will contact you to offer options for resolving it.
- Campaign Finance Reporting -- We have filed hundreds of campaign statements for our clients. Your filings will be fully compliant and filed on deadline. We have extensive experience working with Michigan's MERTS electronic filing system.
- Information and Advice -- We are available at all times to answer any questions that might arise regarding campaign finance law, and to provide counsel on fundraising techniques and strategy.
- Committee Dissolution – Once the campaign is over, or your term of office ends, we will assist you in dissolving your committee.